A brand new show off at The Bishop Museum unearths a long-hidden historical past of the mysterious stones on Waikīkī Seaside, a storied website that few of the tens of millions who cross it by way of know anything else about. The Healer Stones of Kapaemahu explores the previous and recent manner of the 4 massive stones and the mythical female and male therapeutic spirits inside of them.
The Healer Stones of Kapaemahu have been positioned way back on Waikīkī Seaside to honor 4 māhū, odd people of twin female and male spirit, who introduced therapeutic arts from Tahiti to Hawaiʻi. Even though the stones have survived for hundreds of years, the tale in the back of them has been suppressed and the revered function of māhū erased.
Visitors start within the Fort Memorial Construction with the life-size rendering of the stones and spirits in the principle gallery, then watch their tale spread in an interesting animated movie. Visitors then proceed from the theater to a massive room coated with projection monitors and are immersed within the lengthy historical past of the website and its tale.
“Our supply for the definition of the time period ‘Kapaemahu’ is Mary Kawena Pukui, the main Hawaiian pupil of the 20 th century who labored at Bishop Museum for far of her lifestyles. She provides this definition within the e-book she co-wrote, ‘Hawaiian Position Names,’” stated DeSoto Brown, Bishop Museum historian, curator of archives, and exhibition lead curator. “In presenting the unique moʻolelo from 500 or extra years in the past, and analyzing the techniques through which it, and the monument erected to honor its heroes, have been altered within the twentieth century, The Healer Stones of Kapaemahu demanding situations guests to contemplate how different sides of Hawaiian historical past and tradition would possibly had been suppressed, modified, or misplaced. Extra importantly, guests will remember the fact that those sides of Hawaiian tradition now be able to be restored and increased.”
Highlights of The Healer Stones of Kapaemahu Showcase
- Visitors will enjoy an immersive theatrical enjoy of the 8-minute animated movie, “Kapaemahu,” produced and directed by way of exhibition co-curators Dean Hamer, Joe Wilson, and Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu.
- Huge-scale, three-d creative renderings of the 4 pōhaku that represent the cultural website of Kapaemahu.
- An Experiential Timeline provides an in depth multimedia presentation incorporating historic texts and audiovisual fabrics, spanning the time from the stones’ geological advent to the current day.
- Assortment pieces decided on for this exhibition talk to the integral function therapeutic practices initially performed in any respect ranges of Kānaka Maoli lifestyles and the way those changed into much less prevalent thru time because of overseas influences. A number of key historic figures who contributed to the transmission of the Kapaemahu tale over the years will probably be proven along with an in depth array of pictures and historical movie clips illustrating the dramatic adjustments to the Waikīkī district the place the stones themselves are nonetheless noticed these days.
- A photograph and video collage of Pacific Islanders self-representing their gender identities and different cultural heritages. This social media-driven part is gathered and arranged by way of Qwaves, LLC.
- One room of the exhibition is a salute to a famed Honolulu collecting position and nightspot of the Sixties and ’70s, the place māhū performers may overtly be themselves in addition to earn a paycheck. The Glade display membership functioned as a secure house within the face of hostility and felony prosecution from the remainder of the arena.
About The Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum
The challenge of The Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum is to encourage the neighborhood and guests throughout the exploration, party, and perpetuation of the odd historical past, tradition, and atmosphere of Hawai’i and the Pacific. It was once based in 1889 by way of Charles Reed Bishop in reminiscence of his spouse, Bernice Pauahi Bishop, a royal descendent of King Kamehameha I. These days, the museum is an academic heart for the neighborhood and is broadly considered the arena’s premier establishment for Hawaiian and Pacific content material.
Greater than 200,000 other people talk over with the museum each and every 12 months, together with 20,000 youngsters on college visits. The museum is house to greater than 25 million items and specimens representing 9 disciplines and contains greater than 22 million organic specimens, over 2 million cultural items, 115,000 historic publications, and 1 million pictures, movies, artworks, audio recordings, and manuscripts.
The show off runs thru October 16, 2022. Admission is loose for contributors, $24.95 for adults, $21.95 for seniors, and $16.95 for the ones elderly 4-17. To be informed extra in regards to the Bishop Museum and the show off talk over with the museum’s site.