(CNN) — Stir-nuts from the pandemic, site visitors poured into US nationwide parks and related web sites last yr — and they primarily paid out calls to the marquee names.
The NPS claimed that last year’s visitation elevated by 60 million above 2020. That is when Covid-19 shut amenities in most parks for at the very least aspect of the year. Throughout the full Countrywide Park Technique, the numbers nonetheless remained underneath pre-pandemic totals.
Having said that, it was a distinct tale for the best-regarded sites, which had been inundated with visitors. Forty-four areas essentially set a record for recreation visits in 2021.
Best 10 most visited web pages
Of 423 web-sites in the National Park Process, the prime 25 bought additional than 50 percent of the system’s full variety of visits.
These were being the prime 10 for 2021, which contains countrywide parks but also parkways, recreation regions, memorials and connected web pages (figures are rounded off):
1. Blue Ridge Parkway: 15.9 million
2. Good Smoky Mountains Nationwide Park: 14.1 million
3. Golden Gate Countrywide Recreation Space: 13.7 million
4. Gateway Nationwide Recreation Area: 9.1 million
5. Lake Mead National Recreation Place: 7.6 million
6. George Washington Memorial Parkway: 6.8 million
7. Natchez Trace Parkway: 6.4 million
8. Lincoln Memorial: 5.8 million
9. Gulf Islands Countrywide Seashore: 5.5 million
10. Zion Nationwide Park: 5 million
The Blue Ridge Parkway, which handles 469 miles in the Appalachians of North Carolina and Virginia, kept its title of the most-visited web-site in the technique.
Good Smoky Mountains National Park set a visitation document for 2021, passing 14 million recreation visits for the 1st time, NPS stated in its report.
Best 10 nationwide parks
The Bass Harbor Lighthouse is viewed at sunset at Acadia Nationwide Park in Maine.
Of those people 400+ websites in the complete system, only 63 of them are essentially specified a “national park.” These are most visited nationwide parks of 2021 (figures are rounded off):
1. Fantastic Smoky Mountains Countrywide Park: 14.16 million
2. Zion Countrywide Park: 5.03 million
3. Yellowstone National Park: 4.86 million
4. Grand Canyon Countrywide Park: 4.53 million
5. Rocky Mountain Countrywide Park: 4.43 million
6. Acadia National Park: 4.06 million
7. Grand Teton Countrywide Park: 3.88 million
8. Yosemite National Park: 3.28 million
9. Indiana Dunes Countrywide Park: 3.17 million
10. Glacier National Park: 3.08 million
NPS to visitors: Let’s distribute it out
Alongside with actions to control crowding at the most preferred places, the NPS is also trying to steer persons towards the parks that are not placing records.
“It truly is excellent to see so many Us residents continuing to discover solace and inspiration in these amazing destinations all through the second year of the pandemic,” mentioned National Park Assistance Director Chuck Sams in the report.
“We’re happy to see so many visitors returning to legendary parks like Yellowstone and Yosemite, but there are hundreds more that must be on everyone’s bucket record.”
A single notion: Park clusters
Just one notion the NPS is encouraging: go to a cluster of parks on the same family vacation.